martes, febrero 01, 2005

Breaking into the paper

Woosh! Another week gone by. My commendations to all those 7 billion people in the world who blog better than I, apparently this is something that for me takes more guts than I anticipated.

Well, on the job market front (::snort:: that's just a laugh) I've been invited to be a part of the Correspondent team. I still don't know whether they will offer me any sort of salary or not (perhaps lowly writers are not "paid positions" in their eyes, we'll see). But as my highly esteemed mater keeps pointing out, perhaps at my age experience is worth a lot more than money. For one thing, I won't run out of things to do. I've been able to go to Oncourse, the place where IUK students have their syllabi and forums for each course and I've now had another one added, J290 (I think). I'm in the status of a guest for now, because I've still not been to one of the weekly meetings, of which they've had three.

The paper seems to be wanting to run "thematic" issues. Unfortunately this does not necessarily mean "dramatic" (interesting), "pragmatic" (useful), or "diplomatic (tasteful) issues. No, it simply means that for the first February issue, we'll be talking about the grand valentine theme: LOVE. Ain't it great?!
Now don't get me wrong. I'm poking a little fun, but no paper is perfect and more importantly I'm wanting to give some of me to working at it without putting it up on a pedestal. Journalism is, at square one, a very good thing. It can used as a powerful witness for Christ directly and glorify Him in a general way simply promoting truth and equity. Even in this issue there's a chance to point to God's standards. The day that I was set up to be able to view this course, an email came over to everybody from a reporter. She was writing a story on a seminar about woman's freedom in the modern age, but to be fair and help balance the story she wanted another point of view. She wondered if any of us knew a church official from a church that promoted virginity and abstinence before marriage. I was able to talk to Mr. York (our pastor) and offer to her that she interview him. I'm not sure if she has something else already, but it was exciting to be able to take up this chance.

Well, ok. Enough peas from my head for now.

¡¡Hasta la eternidad!!

6 comentarios:

C. Bright dijo...

Arg. Couldn't help commenting after I saw this one up. Muchos apologies for the thick sentences and general hard-to-readness. Sorry dudes, that's just how they come out of my head and I'm eating into Chem time as it is. Later!

Suzanne dijo...

Here's a suggestion for one of your future newspaper themes. One with which I think you will be able to identify, 47.

VISUALIZE WHIRLED PEAS

Any other suggestions out there?

quirky dijo...

Visualize Grilled Cheese

quirky dijo...

Imaginize Spilled Grease

Feanor dijo...

Hey everybody I'm Back to the blogging world! Whats this? no applause? Aren't you happy to see me?
I have another suggestion Spillarize Squeeze Cheese

C. Bright dijo...

You guys are too wierd and juvenile. Go back to grade school!