viernes, abril 08, 2005

I love pumpkins.

Yes, isn't that beautiful? I've been trying to go more toward the positive (whatever that means) and that was simply the most beautiful positive thing to be said.

Otays, this week. Monday, heh, yeah it all comes back. Last week I foolishly agreed to do a follow up on an article I'd written for the Correspodent. I'd writen about a play that the IUK Theatre was putting on. It was an adaptation of James Joyce's first novel Dubliners (you'll find that after writting the article I'm suddenly very knowledgeable about Joyce and things). Well, the long and short is that I saw the play on Friday night, the first of April, and the article was due on Monday the 4th. I didn't get around to it on Saturday, didn't do anything with it Sunday, and whoohooo! Next thing I knew it's a beautiful Monday and I could now start my article.

Well, I got it in, and I worked so hard (translation: used so much time) that I'd like to publish it here fore you.

Well, spending all of Monday and a chunk of Tuesday typing this beautyful article wouldn't be so bad if I had nothing else to do in the week, but nope, I had a rather LARGE Chemistry exam on Thursday which I had two days to prepare for. The good news was - it was a lot of multiple choice, so if one has no clue whether membrane lipids are mostly sphingosines or not, well one can just go for c because cold corn mash starts with c. The bad news was - it was A LOT of multiple choice!!! So you were required to actually know whether membrane lipids are mostly sopingosins or not! (for the record, I kindof thought they were. We'll see.)

I also had an oral presentation in Spanish class. This is where I get up before the class and discuss in a few sentences (in Spanish naturally) whatever topic La Profesora has chosen for us. In previous times we had to give directions from our house to school, tell how to cook a Hispanic dish and such things. This week it was Nuestros Arbóles Genealógico, our family tree. We made posters of our immediate family and also recounted a piece of family history and an interesting story. This was really just to help us learn the preterit and imperfect tenses (just all that confusing come, were coming, had come past stuff), but I wanted to share my story because I love it so much.

La familia de mi abuela es los Holcombs, y era el año mil ochocientos seicenta y siete (ó ocho) cuando venían de Inglaterra a Virginia. Cuando mi abuela era una niña, su madre guadaba unos melocotones en la alacena. Una vez, mi abuela trató a comerlos, y derramó todo de la lata. ¡Era muy joven, entonces los tomó del piso, los puso en la lata, y la puso atrás in la alacena! Pero, no se metó en líos.

Now, in English. Just bear in mind that things are pretty simplified so that I could translate cleanly.
My Grandmother's family is the Holcombs, and it was around the year 1767 or 8 when they were coming from England to Virginia. When my grandmother was a little girl, her mother would keep peaches in the kitchen cabinet. One time, my grandmother tried to eat them, she spilled the whole can. She was very young, so she took them off the floor, put them back in the jar, and put it back in the cabinet! But she didn't get in trouble [at least, that's what I'm guessing!]

Sorry, Granny, if I spilled your beans after all these years, but I remember you telling me when we were in the car once, and we both 'bout croaked laughing. I can just see you little guys all in a tithy and what does a little kid think? Ah ha! Put them back and the peaches aren't wasted, problem solved.

Well, Jim just walked in in that sort of way she has when she'd kindof like to be doing something with me but she's not gonna explicitly say she's board. I'd rather be off the computer myself too.

¡Chau!


P.S. For those of you who like the upside down exclamation point (it's just so expressive, don't you think), you can create your very own by holding down the Alt button and keying in the numbers 0161, then letting off Alt ¡ there ya go.

6 comentarios:

Feanor dijo...

Good article, flavored by a few typical Cabbage typos ;) Just out of curiosity, what did that Spanish speech thing have to do with genealogy?

quirky dijo...

hey on the note of spilling the peaches and putting them back... i once saw a boy at wal mart take a parmesan cheese container off the cabinet, try to open it, and being unsuccessful start to bite and lick and slobber around the entire rim of the tube. he was holding it in his lap when his mom turned around to the cart, and she was like, "hey, put that back!" and set it up on the shelf again. yaaargghhhhhhhhhh ewwww.

C. Bright dijo...

It didn't have anything particluarly to do with Spanish, feanor. The point is to chose different topics or disciplins for us to make mini speeches on so that we get the excercise in vocabulary.

And thinks, Quirky, for always enlivening the tales, I can't think of anything to one up you on that one!!!

Anónimo dijo...

well, to actually tell "the peaches" story correctly - It was my grandmother's house and four little cousins sneaked (is that a word?) the peaches out of the pie-safe to eat them, spilled them on the floor, put them back in the bowl, decided that was not the thing to do, so THEN, THEY TOOK THEM FROM THE BOWL AND PUT THEM BACK ON THE FLOOR AND RAN OUT TO PLAY. AND THAT'S THE TRUTH!!!

Anónimo dijo...

And I wasn't born in 1767 or 8!! And we didn't "spill the beans", we "spilled the peaches!"

C. Bright dijo...

Oh my goodness! I had forgotten the story!! I'm sorry, and thankies, Granny of all Grannys, for setting it right.