martes, agosto 30, 2005

Something told the wild cabbage that it was time for school...

In the early 1900's Rachel Field wrote:

"Something told the wild geese
It was time to go;
Though the fields lay golden
Something whispered, -- "snow".

Leaves were green and stirring,
Berries, luster-glossed,
But beneath warm feathers
Something cautioned, -- "frost".

All the sagging orchards
Steamed with amber spice,
But each wild breast stiffened
At remembered ice.

Something told the wild geese
It was time to fly --
Summer sun was on their wings,
Winter in their cry.

This is definitely a more applicable poem when one reads it in Indiana. I heard wild Canadian geese today somewhere in the deliciously overclouded sky, and we’ve even noticed the nip in the air and a yellowing in the leaves. Fall is coming!!! (And hey, this poem’s been one of my favorites for many years, so I thought I'd make you read it heh.)

::watches as blog readers begin to glaze over::


So it’s a children’s poem.


So it is my secret and evil design to take up more room with this blog.


You have a problem with that?!


::sigh:: The other thing which that delicious cool hearalds is class. I’ve gotten my first full week under my belt, ah hem, and since this earns me all the privileges of a seasoned scholar, you can just call me Dr. Jones from henceforth! Actually what you’ll probably be calling me after this is Miss Tardy Blogger since I must now bow before both editor and professor in my time.

And so since I must spend all of my time getting to know these people, anyone who’s interested can learn a bit of the teacher lineup for this semester:

Barbara Greer (Sapanish) – She’s easier than last year’s profesora, let me tell you that! I appreciate that though she’s teaching a second year course she still speaks very slowly and is more concerned with concepts than exact replication. At least at the beginning of the semester that is! I do regret that the only description I can give of her is that she resembles Edna Mole, without the glasses and 60’s dressmaker attitude.

Donna McLean (Journalism) – Well she’s really the faculty advisor for the paper, so I’ve never sat down to hear her lecture before. She a helps us editors to avoid some militant one-sided-ness, she encourages us to take up an idea and go with it, she just brings adult poise into the office.

John Rudy (Literature) – late 60’s or early 70’s, thin and sardonic, calls himself a Brad Pitt look alike out of sheer delight for irony. Earlier today I was given some friendly advice by a student who’d taken from him before. “If you wanna do well with Rudy, in your papers be really sarcastic and really well researched.” Figures somehow. It remains to be seen where a cabbage can take such a task, but I have to admit this dude’s got a ton of literary knowledge to recommend him.

Suzanne Carey (Writing/Research Papers) – incredible that I should get a writing teacher with that name, and I must confess that I was a bit more inclined to like her from the start. :o) She’s elderly, talks ve-ry dis-tinct-ly, and spoke at fond length over her two puppy dogs. But she’s quite well read and isn’t afraid to handle the gritty topics that come in research materials such as Hemingway. She’s teaching muchos freshmons so the talks on How to be a Good Writer, My Dears are a wee bit unnecessary for me, but the class will be a great prep for the research papers types (MLA APA) that I’ll need to use these next few years.

Debbie Jones (Computer) I’ve only seen her once: she talks, we listen, we click. Good system. I’m quite pleased that the class only has four lectures and a test, but that means that I shan’t see much at all of Mrs. Jones.

Loverly, aint they?

2 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

You will have all those profs wrapped arond your little finger in no time.
And I liked your poem.

Amy Thorne dijo...

But you forgot to metion your most favoratives professor:

CAPTAIN JIM, who has you in class from 4:37 am to 11:21 pm on Maritime Subjects and the Nature of Underseas Exploration as Defined by Those Living Beneath the Waves of the World's Oceans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!