miércoles, agosto 17, 2005

Servanthood, spanish, and sponge cake

Wow, five more days until I officially start college. Does this mean I'm a big girl now? No, I'm afraid that it doesn't, in fact I'm feeling smaller and smaller by the day (but that's another research topic for another time!). I miss my bro. Didn't think that I'd re-get to know him like I did this summer, and I thought that when he left I'd be coolio and nothing would be missing, but that's what you get for thinking, I guess. Guys out there in the world, you do have an ineffable input that we gals can't get anywhere else.

But looking ahead after these next five days, I'm ready and charged to be back at school (yup, IU Kokomo too!). I'll be taking five classes this semester (six if you count the lab for the computer class, which I don't).

Spanish 203 (2nd Year Spanish) 1-2:15 pm Mon, Wed
English Lit 202 (Literary Interpritation) 4-5:15 pm Mon, Wed
English Writing 132 (Elementary Comp 2) 8:30-9:45 am Tue, Thurs
Computer Science 100 (Computing Tools, Ha!) Lecture & Lab 8:30-11:15 am Fri
Journalism 290 (Internship in Journalism) ... all the time.

On that last one says "internship" but it really means: become a public servant through working on The Correspondent. And although we don't have an official class period we do have meetings twice a week and articles to work on basically always. It do pay a mite, (only a mite) - the real plus is the experience in working with the team (us against the uninformed world, baby!), of both writing your articles and proofing all of your minions's articles, of trying your hand at faculty profiles or cd reviews or hard news. Yeah that'll be a big, lovely hunk of...um, fun. Hmm. But all that is nothing, my love, compared to the real task of being an entertainment editor when you're real desire is to bring intelligence, culture, and Christianity to the paper. This is for real, and may prove to be a very difficult balancing act, that or a very easy compromise. Y'all pray for me that God would mercifully give me the discretion (and diligence) to stick to this position and be a clear light for Christ to shine through.

Spanish is gonna be cool, again. :o) I'm excited to be taking it with my one good friend that I have at IUK. We took the same Spanish class my first semester and Providentially got the same Spanish classes both last semester and this. Erin's been a real gem for me, because as many nice people as there are in the world (even some very kind mature Christians whom you really agree with), you still find only so many that you just click with. Erin and I clicked our first semester, and we've been just hanging out when we could during school and summer. Her fiancee is an awesome chap, a bit random and concentrated ("you can see the wildness in his eyes, he kindof goes 'click!'"), but very very nice. You'll just have to experience Chad yourself to know what I mean. Anywho, these two have been solid friends to have - they've gotten me out and around some, they're still in college but they're also just a bit older than I am and are looking towards their adult life like... little adults.

Did all that seem to make sense? Have relevance? No? Well here's something that's very relevant and exciting. James of very Jamses is going to have a party ("but a party on a summers day... well!") this weekend, down down in Indi and it is going to be THE COOLEST. I can't spill all the beans but she is The Ultimate Wizardess of Party Planning and this latest installation (don't you heave when critics call movies that? "The latest Tela Tubie installation is just ripping!" ug) as I was saying this latest investiture shall methinks show the hight of her powers. Ahh all those poofy pink decorations and white sponge cake... Wait, that was my birthday.

7 comentarios:

Feanor dijo...

Flabbergasted by the depth of thought, no words of mine can add to or take away from this post, so I'll do the second best and pretend that I am special cause I'm a part of this truly amazing post. Goodbye.

Amy Thorne dijo...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! this was one big laugh. Especially the misguided but somehow fitting Mr. E quote! It just makes me want to break out into singing "there must be something better than love"!

Suzanne dijo...

Yeah, normal school year routine rocks! Bring it on.

I'm trying to talk Amy into having a classic English sponge cake with runny unsweeted pudding on top, but I don't think she's going for it.

Feanor dijo...

Yep thats me, always misguided but I always fit! Also, the singing thing is beyond me, would you care to explain? After you get done eating you classic English sponge cake with runny unsweetened pudding on top that is.

quirky dijo...

i'm sure there's plenty of guys out there at school waiting to impart on your ears as much ineffible input you could desire. are you all up on your tae kwon do? hiyaa!!!

Joel and Stacey dijo...

We should start a Missing Brothers Club for all of us girls whos brothers leave them behind! Hope school goes well for you!

Luddie dijo...

I'm missing! NOOOOOOOO